There is an uncanny resemblance…… isn’t it ?
While walking with Magic & Mia we come across innumerable number of canines & their human companions. ‘Though sadly very few dogs are actually walked by their human companions, they are walked by their house help, driver’s, watchmen or dog walker’s. Just by observing the dog one can understand a thing or two of their human companions. Actually when we see them with their human companions one can see so many interesting facets. Lets put 70% to the breed characteristics & the remaining 30% to the persona of the human companion which is reflected on the behaviour of the dog.
Feisty dog means there is a feisty person in charge of the dog, insecure dog means there is an insecure person in charge of the dog, a well-behaved dog also means there is a calm & secure human influence working behind the scene.
What is interesting for me is not just these similarities in behaviour, when one observes closely one sees so many similarities in the gait & even in the looks…. it’s really true & very surreal to state the least. A person with a Shiatzu or Apso looks so much alike their dog, a person with a Rottweiler again shows that resemblance, a person with Labrador also shows the same, same with a Beagle, same with a lady who walks a Spaniel…. they look so alike so on & so forth. Believe me, friends who have adopted rescue dogs also show such uncanny resemblances.
I’ve friends who are so similar (i am not taking their names) A & L, S & Y, A & Z, A & K, P & M, M & C.
Now coming back to our two rascals whose personalities do they reflect ?
Yesterday while we were having a meal we were talking about this and both partner & son were extra, extra quick to claim Mia reflects their personalities & they were even more quicker to say that everything about Magic is a reflection of me. Mia is an angel & Magic is a devil, so the devil is quickly passed on to me. They continued to strengthen their arguments by saying i am the one who has a bad temper…. so Magic is also like me with his aggression with other dogs, they say i take foolish risks in life, Magic also does the same heading straight into the battlefield without batting an eyelid.
Magic wants to kill all male dogs in his sight & claim all the female dogs to himself…. surely that behaviour didn’t come from me, for me friends are friends, their gender is irrelevant to me. People accuse me of speaking too softly, whereas Magic is loud. Magic because of his aggressive charges with the intention to maul & kill Pugs, Shiatzu’s, Apso’s, Beagle’s, Dachshunds, Minpins has become a very unpopular dog in the area where we live in, i am also a co-accused with Magic in two cases charged under Indian Penal Code 302 (read: murder) with him…. so along with him i am also an outcast in the neighbourhood & no one would want to have anything to do with us. May be when we are away on the farm the neighbourhood must be heaving a sigh of relief…. hush, peace.
In the farm also the same story continues…. anything which runs: dogs, goats, cattle, humans, children has to be chased down. Recently one person confessed to me that he had pee’d in his pants when Magic went up to him, there have been instances where people on two-wheelers have stopped their bikes & got down to the side to let us go through. Even if i wanted to live life quietly on the farm… it’s not possible because of Magic. His “one bark” echoes from the valley making our presence felt. That is part of his breed characteristics, which any way i will not destroy.
With Mia i have no issues, she can be 200 mtrs away from me & one single whistle is enough for her to come back to me like a tracer bullet, i feel secure with her. With Magic, there isn’t any insecurity, our bonds are deep, just too deep. wherever he goes & wanders he will come back, however i do fear that in that few minutes he can do some serious damage. Its true, i’ve seen it with my own eyes, it isn’t pretty, its embarrassing, it hurts & one feels the pain that he causes to other people. However our lives are so intertwined, sometimes i feel neither of us will be able to out-live each other.
He is bloody unique, he is a freak, his IQ levels are two generations ahead of us, he is strong as a horse, he is a wanderer, he loves all of us as if there is no tomorrow, he is an eternal romantic, he is really the Saadat Hasan Manto among canines. The dogs which have shared that relationship with him: the Usain Bolt like sprints & enduring the snipes & tumbles like Loca & Yuma will remember him ever for life. Even the humans who know his affection: his whip tail wag, the body arched bum shake (aka Shakira), the licks & the cuddles will know that he isn’t a dog what people make him out to be.
I guess its the same with me…. ‘am not the person who people make me out to be.
peace, love & thanks to the striking similarities